CIVIC MUSEUM OF THE HOLY CROSS
The museum, located in the Church of the Holy Cross, is an ancient oratory named for the eponymous Fraternal Order. The structure has been restored many times over the years and its current external appearance dates back to the 18th century.
Its interior work was done in the 16th and 18th centuries and includes: an altarpiece with a “Deposition” by Luca Signorelli commissioned by the Fraternal Order of the Holy Cross between 1516 and 1517; a sculpture of St. Rocco; a “Madonna and Child” by Pomarancio; and a recently restored 17th-century Morettini organ that is used for concerts.
For the last three years, the Church of the Holy Cross has been home to Camerata Tokio, a record company that specialises in classical music and has recorded many internationally famous artists there. One of the most interesting events that takes place in the museum is the re-enactment of the 19th-century Spring Festival every September, which offers prestigious concerts and historical re-enactments from the 1800s.
Open only on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
October to May: 10:30 am to 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm to 5:30 pm.
June to September: 10:30 am to 1:00 pm and 4:00 pm to 6:30 pm.
Closed on Christmas and New Year’s Day.
Address: Piazza S. Francesco; Tel: 075-9420147
THE ROCCA – CONTEMPORARY ART CENTRE
After being completely restored in the early 1990s, the Rocca (fortress) has become the permanent home of the Contemporary Art Centre. Along with its permanent works by Corrado Cagli and Pietro Consagra, it periodically hosts temporary exhibitions of great artistic interest.
Closed in winter
10:30 am to 12:30 pm and 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
Address: Piazza Fortebraccio; Tel: 075-9413691
CIVITELLA RANIERI CASTLE
Not far from Umbertide there is a splendid green oasis (about 23 hectars of park) from where one can admire the fabulous Castle Civitella Ranieri. The building is a charming medieval fortress dating from 1000AD.
It has circular towers, with arches built in the entire facade and supported by buttresses. The castle rises on an old militatry camp, near the abbey of Camporeggiano and San Salvatore, and the building was started in 1078 by Raniero, brother of the Duke Guglielmo di Monferrato. The work was finished by Uberto’s son who wanted to build a “cittadella”. Here the name of “Civitella”.