The small town is one of the first towns in Tuscany that you come across when travelling through the Tuscan Valtiberina from Citta’ di Castello to Arezzo.
There isn’t any definite information on Monterchi before the XI century however it is probable that it is of Roman origin as its name suggests, Mons Herculi. It is a bordering town that was fort over by Florence and the Church for its strategic position and its fortification. It is still today well conserved even though there was a large earthquake in 1917 that caused the town centre to be radically changed. Monterchi is famous for its Madonna del Parto, a famous fresco by Piero della Francesca (1415-1492) painted around the middle of the XV century and inside the church Chiesa di Santa Maria di Momentana (which can be found outside the town walls). It is now possible to see the fresco in the museum in the town centre.
Museo della Madonna del Parto, Via della Reglia, 1
Museo delle Bilance, Via XX Settembre
Tel: 0575 70713
November to March 09:00-13:00 14:00-17:00
April to October 09:00-13:00 14:00-19:00
Tickets € 5.50
Reduced: € 4.00