The town’s Picture Gallery is housed in the beautiful rooms of Palazzo Vitelli alla Cannoniera, which was built during the Renaissance by the Vitelli Family on the occasion of the wedding between Alessandro Vitelli and Paola Angela Rosso from the town of San Secondo Parmense.

Many famous renaissance artists contributed to the creation of the building including Cristoforo Gherardi. The frescoed Picture Gallery contains works from the 1300s to the 1900s and has one of the largest collections in Umbria. In its 30 rooms hang pieces by some of Italy’s greatest masters including the “Standard of the Holy Trinity” by the young Raphael, the “Martyrdom of St. Sebastian” by Luca Signorelli and the “Coronation of the Virgin” by Domenico Ghirlandaio.
Of great interest is the collection of ceramics by the Della Robbia family and the reliquary of St. Andrea del Ghiberti. The gallery also has contemporary works by such famous 20th-century artists as Carlo Carrà, Giorgio De Chirico and Renato Guttuso.


10:00 am to 1:00 pm and 2:30 pm to 6:30 pm
Closed on Mondays
Full price € 6.00; Seniors over 65 and children under seven € 4.00
Address: Via della Cannoniera; Tel: 075-8554202


The Cathedral Museum is housed in the former parsonage adjacent to the Basilica of Saints Florido and Amantius and is made up of twelve rooms on two floors.

Along with its goldsmith and other hand-worked pieces on the first floor, the museum houses the “Treasure of Canoscio”, which is one of the most significant 20th-century findings of Paleochristian art. It is a collection of 25 objects (dishes, chalices and spoons) used for the Christian Eucharistic celebration that all date back to the 6th-century CE.
In the second room on the first floor, there is a gold and silver antependium from 1146 and a 14th-century gold crosier attributed to Goro di Gregorio, a goldsmith from Siena.
The museum also has many paintings including a “Christ in Glory” by Rosso Fiorentino (1528) and a “Madonna and Child with St. John” by Pinturicchio (1486), which hang in a splendid gothic room on the second floor.



The Round Bell Tower is certainly one of the symbols of Città di Castello and creates the town skyline along with the Cathedral Dome and the Civic Tower.

It is located behind Piazza Gabriotti and can be reached from Via della Legna and Via del Modello.
The fact that the tower is round makes it quite unique. In Italy, there are only two other round bell towers of similar height, one in Ravenna (in Romagna) and one in Caorle (in Veneto). The lower part of the bell tower was built with small sandstone quoins and dates back to the 11th and 12th centuries.
The double order of windows in the upper portion belongs to a later period and dates back to circa 1283.
The tower is 43.5 metres high and has an average diameter of 7 metres. The brickwork is one metre thick. The cone-shaped top of the tower houses the bell room and three bells that are still in working condition. The tower has recently been reopened to the public and can be accessed through a small door on the right of its base.
If the bell tower is closed, please inquire at the Cathedral Museum.

From October 1st to March 31st: 10:00 am to 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm to 5:30 pm
From April 1st to September 30th: 10:00 am to 1:00 pm and 3:00 pm to 6:30 pm
Closed on Mondays
Full price € 6.00; Seniors over 65 and children under seven € 4.00
Address: Piazza Gabriotti 3/a; Tel-Fax: 075-8554705
Email: museoduomo@tiscali.it


The Fondazione Palazzo Albizzini

The Fondazione Palazzo Albizzini Collezione Burri was established in 1978 upon the request of Alberto Burri and commissioned by the Associazione per la Tutela dei Monumenti, Cassa di Risparmio Città di Castello, the Town Council and the University of Rome ‘La Sapienza’. The collection is housed in the monumental Palazzo Albizzini, and is where the Foundation takes its name from. The late XV century building is 1660sqm covering three floors (two of which for the exhibition) and has typical Florentine renaissance features.

The Albizzini family is documented from the XIV century and were protagonists in much of the town’s history. It was probably Ser Filippo di Ludovico who commissioned the ‘Sposalizio della Vergine’ (Raffaello, 1504) which can now be found in Brera. The Foundation has two exhibitions one in Palazzo Albizzini and one in the Ex Seccatoi del Tabacco or the former tobacco drying warehouse. The artwork is placed in a chronological order, selected by the artist himself and is his most extensive collection. The Collezione Burri in Palazzo Albizzini was opened to the public in December 1981 and holds around 130 pieces (paintings, sculptures, graphics and scenography) created between 1948 and 1989 and divided between 20 rooms.

The Collezione Burri

The Collezione Burri in the former tobacco drying warehouse was opened in 1990. The 7.500sqm  warehouse was once used to dry tropical tobacco up to the 1960’s and eventually bought and renovated by the Burri Foundation. Alberto Burri himself managed the exhibition selecting 128 of his pieces, all of which were created between 1970 and 1993. Three sculptures can be found in the warehouse’s gardens. The Foundation can be considered one of Burri’s creations; he selected where, giving importance to the relationship between the buildings architecture and his work, and how to exhibit them.  For this reason the Foundation and Città di Castello boast a museum that can be compared to other institutions such as the Van Gogh Museum and the Joan Miró and Antoni Tapies foundations. Upon Burri’s expressed wishes, the exhibitions are permanent and always visible in their entirety even when there are other temporary exhibitions. In fact Palazzo Albizzini holds a library full of modern and contemporary material, a  photographic library which collects any documents regarding Alberto Burri’s pieces and an archive conserving extensive documents on Burri. The Foundation’s aim is to manage and conserve the exhibitions, to protect the artwork and its copyright, promote studies on the Artist, provide catalogues and involve other important institutions in organising further exhibitions.

Opening times:
Palazzo Albizzini (Via Albizzini, 1)
1st April to 30th September Weekdays:
9:30-12:30 and 14:30-18:30
Weekends and national holidays:
10:30-12:30 and 15:00.19:00
1st October-31st March
Weekdays 9:30-13:00 14:30-18:00
Weekends and national holidays: 10:30-12:30 15:00-18:00
Closed Mondays,
25th December and 1st January
Ex Seccatoi Tabacco (Via Pierucci)
1st April to 30th September
Weekdays: 9:30-12:30 and 14:30-18:30
Weekends and national holidays: 10:30-12:30 and 15:00.19:00
Between October and March please check the website www.fondazioneburri.org
Closed Mondays, 25th December and 1st January
For info or group bookings: Tel/Fax 075 8559848
Email: museo@fondazioneburri.org


The “Documentation Centre of Popular Traditions and Artisan Shops” is housed in Villa Garavelle located about one km from the historic centre of Città di Castello.

The museum is one of the first in Italy to collect and show objects pertaining to peasant traditions.
The collection is displayed in an old farmhouse that has been restored and decorated with period furniture, furnishings, tools and machinery from the everyday farm life of families who lived in the Umbrian countryside.

Closed on Monday
Full price € 3.70; Seniors over 65 and children under seven € 2.20
Address: in the hamlet of Garavelle;
Tel: 075-8552119


Located in the heart of Città di Castello is the Tela Umbra museum-workshop with its textile collection.

On display inside are artisan works of great significance that reveal the history of weaving in the Upper Tiber Valley including Umbrian renaissance tablecloths, tapestries, carpets, bobbin laces, pieces hand-woven on antique looms, weavings with renaissance images and common fabrics, as well as traditional weaving tools such as looms, spinning wheels and reels.
The laboratory is still active today and continues to produce textiles using artisan techniques and antique instruments.

Closed on Monday
Full price € 3.50; Seniors over 65 and children under seven € 2.50
Address: Via S. Antonio no. 3; Tel: 075-8554337

Scooter vintage Museums

Via Martiri delle Foibe, 10 -
Zona Ind. Nord Città di Castello
Tel. +39 075 8522939 – Fax +39 075 4652129

Scooter Vintage Museum was born in Città di Castello on June the 5th 2010 in a beautiful and radiant Official Piaggio Center, after many years of love and passion for the legendary Vespa. The collection has more than 70 historical vehicles from 1948 to the present day, beautifully restored and preserved as original. Inside the museum, in addition to the collection Vespa and Lambretta, you can enjoy a myriad collection of photographs, tables, 50’s advertising signs and above all small and big gadgets that will take you back with years.


9:00 to 13:00 am and 15:00 to 19:00 pm, saturday 09:00 to 13:00 am.

Reservation is raccomanded.

Churches of Città di Castello
Events of Città di Castello 


  1. Pingback: Graphic designer, illustrator, artist and visionaryThe Mag